Crayke is a village and civil parish within the Hambleton District of North Yorkshire. The 2011 National Census recorded the population of Crayke as 410 persons, in a total of 175 individual dwellings.
Crayke is situated about 2 miles East of Easingwold, and approximately 12 miles or 20km North from the centre of York.
Most of Crayke village lies within a Conservation Area, and also within the Hambleton Hills AONB (Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty). To the North East side of the village lies St Cuthbert’s Church, dating from the late 15th century, and very close by is Crayke Castle, also dating from the 15C and a listed National Monument. However there is evidence of much earlier buildings at the site, including a motte-and-bailey castle, and a monastry and monastic cemetery.
Historically Crayke was part of the Bishopric of Durham from the 7th Century right up until 1844. It is reported to have been a gift of the Northumbrian King Ecgfrith (sometimes referred to as Egfrid) to the church, and thereafter links to St Cuthbert, and the Prince Bishops of Durham. Cuthbert may have founded a monastry or church at the site when he became Bishop of Lindisfarne in 685, and Crayke (then spelt Crec) was recorded in the Doomsday book as a possession of the see of Durham. See link to BBC page
For information about Crayke Conservation Area click here
For Information about Crayke History, please click here